Fort Drum was created in 1908 as Pine Camp, a 10,000-acre summer reserve training camp. From 1942-1944, a number of buildings were built for housing and training of the 4th Armored Division and the 27th Infantry Division. During this period, a mobilization hospital was constructed in the old post 2400 area with capacity to house 540 patients. No name is known for this facility. It was common for medical facilities erected as a result of the rapid expansion during World War II to be designated only as the Post Hospital where they were located. Thus, the facility was probably known as the Pine Camp Hospital.
In 1951, Pine Camp was designated as Camp Drum. Certain portions of the hospital continued to be occupied to support the reserve training mission. The facility was known subsequently as the U.S. Army Health Clinic, Camp Drum. It was manned by a skeleton staff of military personnel and a civilian nurse who were augmented by increments of reserve personnel during Reserve Annual Training. Medical support for Camp Drum was provided at this location until Wilcox Clinic was dedicated in November of 1980.
Wilcox Clinic is named after Brigadier General Timothy Wilcox who served as the Deputy Surgeon General from 1903 to 1904. General Wilcox was a native of New York and devoted his life to the well-being of his fellow Soldiers. He served with distinction in campaigns from the Civil War to the Spanish American Conflict, and is said in one instance, to have performed an amputation in the midst of battle.
Wilcox Clinic served the Reserve population at Camp Drum and was expanded to support the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) in the early years of its activation. It was apparent, however, that plans had to be implemented to provide medical support to the greatly expanding population. Plans progressed to build a Consolidated Troop Medical Clinic and Ambulatory Health Care Clinic.
In 1987, Wilcox Clinic became a United States Army Medical Department Activity (USA MEDDAC).
In January 1991, Guthrie Ambulatory Health Care Clinic opened its doors. In May of that year, it was dedicated to the memory of Dr. Samuel B. Guthrie (1782-1845) who served as physician and surgeon in the U.S. Army from 1812-1817.
In 1991/1992 timeframe, Conner Troop Medical Clinic opened its doors. It was named in honor of Technician Fifth Class William Conner who was a medic with the 10th Mountain Division. He was awarded the Silver Star Posthumously for Gallantry in Action on March 3, 1945 while serving in Italy. Conner was killed while bravely assisting a wounded Soldier.
In January 2000, the Fort Drum MEDDAC officially opened a satellite Obstetrics/Gynecology Office adjacent to Samaritan Medical Center (SMC) in Watertown. MEDDAC officials determined that a satellite office there would be beneficial to both patients and doctors, allowing on-call doctors the opportunity to see other patients in-between deliveries; make better use of physical time while at the hospital and increase patient access. It also enables physicians to have an office within walking distance from labor and delivery which ensures quick response time to rare emergent situations while still being productive and seeing office patients.
In 2006 to 2008, Wilcox Clinic was renovated to house the USA MEDDAC Behavioral Health Department. The facility now provides a modern, state-of-the-art treatment facility for Soldiers and their Families. The existing Wilcox Facility renovation included a 2,000-square foot addition to the building, increasing its overall size from 26,440 to 28,440 square feet. The new facility provides an additional 7,000 Square feet of space for the BHD. The new space features more than 70 new office spaces, three reception areas, multiple group meeting rooms, and multiple video Tele-Psychiatry offices. The main reception area features a large domed skylight and children’s waiting area, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for Soldiers, their Families and providers. Several other skylights throughout the facility enhance the wide-open, well-lit spaces, and comfortable, modern offices. In addition, an expanded records storage area allows for consolidated records and file storage for Behavioral Health support staff and providers. All automation systems have been upgraded to state-of-the-art technology which will increase the ability of the staff to provide care, once again highlighting the commitment to care for Soldiers and their Families.
In 2009, the Guthrie Complex Addition/Alteration project began. The project included a 49,000 square-foot addition to Guthrie Clinic, and more than two-thirds of existing facility renovations. The completed project consolidates primary care and enhances ancillary services to beneficiaries. The Guthrie Complex Expansion and Clinic Addition project was completed in 2011.
In 2012, the 3-85 Mountain Infantry (Warrior Transition Battalion) Complex (on the Guthrie campus) was completed. The $52 million WTB Complex is located across from Guthrie Clinic which provides many of the services required by the WTU Soldier. The complex consists of a 200-person barracks, a two-company administration facility Headquarters Company building, and a Soldier and Family Assistance Center.
Clark Hall on Fort Drum houses MEDDAC’s Preventive Medicine and Soldier Readiness Center services.
Preventive Medicine and Public Health Services include:
Heat/Cold Weather Injury Prevention; Deployment Health Services; Nutrition Services (Active Duty Army Move Program, individual nutrition consultation by referral only; various specialty cooking classes); Tobacco Cessation; Maternal-Child Health services; Sexual Health classes and clinic;
Health Consultation for CYSS programs; Occupational Health Services, Industrial Hygiene Services; Audiology/Hearing Conservation clinic and classes.
The Soldier Readiness Clinic’s mission is to maintain the health and medical readiness needs of the Fort Drum and 10th Mountain Division (LI). Services provided include: medical in/out-processing, medical readiness for deployment / redeployment of active-duty Soldiers, Post Deployment Health Re-Assessment (PDHRA), Mobilization / Demobilization for Reservists and National Guardsmen, and individual medical readiness. The staff also conducts the yearly Influenza Vaccination Program for active-duty Soldiers.
The Distinctive Unit Insignia for the Fort Drum MEDDAC is a silver metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches in overall height consisting of a maroon cross bearing a silver staff entwined by a light green serpent between and interlaced by two green pine trees. This is all in front of a silver mountain peak with a white snow cap.
The maroon and white/silver colors are traditionally associated with the Army Medical Corps.
Green denotes hope, good health and growth.
A cross denotes medical care and healing.
The staff and serpent are adapted from the staff of Aesculapius, the mythological God of Medicine.
A Coat of Arms topped by the mountains and pine trees of the MEDDAC Distinctive Unit Insignia (DUI) and a portrait of Dr. Samuel Guthrie and consisting of a shield with a centered silver medical caduceus. The shield is separated into four equal sections by a maroon cross with the Distinctive Unit Insignias (DUI) of the two units assigned to the Fort Drum Health Service Area filling the top left and lower right corners. The upper right corner contains the MEDCOM and 10th Mountain shoulder sleeve insignia. The lower left corner contains a symbol of each of the four local civilian hospitals in the Health Service Area. The scroll entwined underneath bears the name of the Health Service Area.